Friday, January 25, 2013

Book Review: Shiver


Goodreads summary:

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again. Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

My review:

I enjoyed Shiver, but it wasn't jaw-droppingly wonderful.  After hearing so much about it, I was sure it would be something brilliant.  Well, I was slightly disappointed, but overall I liked Shiver.

Let's start off with the characters, because that's always the most important part of a book for me.  I quite like Grace.  She's not some helpless, whiny young girl; no, she's very capable, stoic, and she takes matters into her own hands.  I really admired her character.  I loved one scene, towards the end, where Grace is captured and must use her wits to save herself.  She is a strong, likeable narrator.

Unfortunately, I didn't like Sam as well as I did Grace.  I wouldn't go as far as to call him a wimp.  However, his voice just never seemed masculine to me.  He's just very sensitive, and he also seems to lack a personality.  I didn't care for him much.

Also, the plot is slow-moving sometimes.  For a while, it didn't seem like there was much going on, but I was eventually drawn in to Grace and Sam's struggle to find a cure so Sam can stay human.  I haven't read a ton of werewolf books, but as far as werewolves go, I think the plot is pretty unique.  The last 100 pages or so are the best; there is a lot more plot development and action.

Finally, the writing.  I like Maggie Stiefvater's writing style a lot.  It's lyrical and moving, and she does a great job creating the atmosphere of the story.  I could picture the town, the snow, and the woods very well in my mind.

One little thing I didn't like was the fact that Grace's parents are so absent.  I know they are supposed to be kind of out of it, but I just thought it's very convenient that they're hardly ever around.  That got on my nerves.  Still, spite a few dislikes, I did enjoy Shiver.  I'm looking forward to reading the sequel, Linger.  Can't wait to see how the story continues!

My rating:  7 out of 10 (3.5 stars)

~ The Bookworm

6 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book yet either, glad to know I am not the only one! I originally avoid it because I thought it was a cliche werewolf story but I read Maggie's The Scorpio Races and LOVED IT. I like how you mentioned the absentee parents because that is one of my pet peeves in novels, makes it so unrealistic for me. Great review!

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alise! I have also read The Scorpio Races and loved it; I think it's definitely better than Shiver. Still, I have to say that Shiver is a pretty unique werewolf story. Hope you get the chance to read it soon!

      Delete
  2. I think this is one of those books you either love with all your heart, or its only okay. This series is one of my all time favorites because it was one of my discovering reading books. Sad to see you weren't all that impressed and I hope the rest of the series does more for you! Personally the last book is my favorite. Nice review :)

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree - it is the type of book you either love, or it's only okay. I am glad you love it so much though! I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series, I hope it gets even better. Thanks, Jasmine!

      Delete
  3. I nominated you for a liebster blog award. You can check it out here: http://jordansreadingnook.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-blog-award-nominee.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the nomination, Alejandra, I really appreciate it. :)

      Delete