Monday, January 7, 2013

Book Review: Nevermore


Goodreads summary:

Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

His life depends on it.


My review:

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.  A good friend of mine had read it recently and really disliked it, so I was prepared to dislike it too.  But it actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting - it was a very creative, engrossing read!

I was so afraid that Nevermore would be full of cliches.  After all, the summary sure sounds like it: Blonde cheerleader?  Check.  Possessive boyfriend?  Check.  Bad boy?  Check.  Well, the author does a great job of making the story different and original.  Isobel isn't one of those annoying, airheaded cheerleaders.  Instead, she takes cheerleading seriously and works hard at it.  Her boyfriend actually plays an important role in the story.  And "bad boy" Varen isn't as much of a bad boy as he might appear, he's actually a mysterious, witty guy and I adored his character.

The characters really are done well.  I connected a lot with Isobel and the struggles she goes through.  I particularly liked her parents and younger brother, Danny.  They feel like a very real family and it was so nice to read a paranormal book where the parents aren't absent and actually have important parts in the story. 

Creagh's writing is absolutely beautiful.  It's gorgeous, poetic, and full of lovely metaphors and descriptions.  She does a wonderful job describing details, setting the mood of the story, and creating vivid imagery.  My only complaint is that there's a bit too much description at times.  Sometimes it made me lose focus on the story a little.

The plot is really great, too.  It is pretty slow-moving, but it's never boring.  The last 100 pages are the best part, I think.  The author takes Edgar Allen Poe's stories and turns them into this fascinating, fantasy dream world.  It was delightful and creepy at the same time.  And can I say, that cliffhanger at the end is pretty cruel.  I can't wait to read the sequel!

I'm so glad this ended up being so original and exciting.  Nevermore stands out from most paranormal YA fiction.  If you enjoy creative paranormal stories and strong characters, then I'd recommend trying Nevermore!

My rating:  8 out of 10 (4 stars)

~ The Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment