Sunday, January 20, 2013

Book Review: Pure


Goodreads summary:

There is need. And then there is Fate
Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's "other half" is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her.
When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude or killing her.
When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.


My review:

Pure was SO amazing.  I've been really lucky with sequels lately - usually they disappoint, but both Pure and another book I reviewed recently, Spark by Brigid Kemmerer, have been even better than the first in the series.  I flat-out adored this book.

Okay, so I love the characters and could gush about them all day, but I also have to mention the awesomeness that is Jennifer L. Armentrout.  How is she such a good writer?!  There's something absolutely addicting about her writing.  It just sucks you in completely and you don't want to stop reading.  I've said this before, but it's just so true: I wish I could write like she does!

And the characters...gah.  I love Alex even better in Pure.  She's still as reckless and impulsive as ever, but she's more mature and grows up and thinks things through more carefully.  I just love her character.  I love how she speaks her mind and is so determined. 

And Aiden!  He's every bit as swoon-worthy as he was in Half-Blood. :) I love the scene where he takes Alex to the zoo.  Sooo.  Adorable!  I also love how he tries to stick up for Alex and protect her.  It broke my heart!  Forget the stupid rules...why can't they just be together and be happy?!

As for Seth, well, I know a lot of people switched to Team Seth instead of Team Aiden after reading Pure.  I'm not one of them.  I love Seth a lot more in Pure - he's hysterically funny and has some of the greatest lines - but I just can't see him and Alex together as a couple. 

Oh, and the plot?  I love how unputdownable it is!  I was constantly worrying about what Alex would do next.  And Caleb... *sobs* Why did that have to happen?  Why?  I love the great friendship he and Alex had.

Well.  This book certainly hit me in the feels.  I need to go buy Deity soon; I am so dying to read it.  And if you still haven't read this series, then...*goes back and counts* the fact that I used the word "love" eight times in this review should convince you! :) Go read this amazing series!

My rating:  10 out of 10 (5 stars)

~ The Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment