Saturday, March 2, 2013

Book Review: Inbetween by Tara A. Fuller


Goodreads summary:

Since the car crash that took her father’s life three years ago, Emma’s life has been a freaky — and unending — lesson in caution. Surviving “accidents” has taken priority over being a normal seventeen-year-old, so Emma spends her days taking pictures of life instead of living it. Falling in love with a boy was never part of the plan. Falling for a reaper who makes her chest ache and her head spin? Not an option.

It’s not easy being dead, especially for a reaper in love with a girl fate has put on his list not once, but twice. Finn’s fellow reapers give him hell about spending time with Emma, but Finn couldn’t let her die before, and he’s not about to let her die now. He will protect the girl he loves from the evil he accidentally unleashed, even if it means sacrificing the only thing he has left…his soul.


My review:
 
It's hard to find an original YA paranormal that's not about werewoves, vampires, angels, etc.  Inbetween definitely manages to stick out as a unique, fun read.  The storyline was well-thought out.  I love the idea of reaping souls, and there was a bit of reincarnation too.  It was all quite entertaining and interesting to read about.

One aspect of the story I absolutely loved is Emma's best friend, Cash.  Can I just say how nice and refreshing it is for the main character to have a guy best friend who isn't in love with her and is just a good friend who cares about her?  I loved that.  I thought his character was so sweet and funny, and he really is a wonderful friend to Emma.  I was so excited to hear that the next book in this series is abut Cash and another minor character, Anaya.  I'm especially looking forward to reading it now!

I also enjoyed the two main characters, Finn and Emma.  Although the story was a bit confusing at first, I got caught up in it quickly.  I loved hearing about Finn's past, and it was so sad when Emma didn't know who he was at first.  I like that there was no insta-love; it really makes their relationship seem more real when you learn about Emma's past life and how they were in love back then.  But for some reason, I didn't totally connect with Emma.  I don't know why.  She's not a bad character at all, and I did like her at times, but I just wasn't crazy about her.

Anyway, if you're looking for a change from the usual paranormal stories, consider giving this a try.  I like that it's not like other paranormal stories, where there's just a little bit of magic and then tons of romance.  While Inbetween has some romance, it also has its full share of creepy magic and action and a complex plot that will hold your attention.  I'm super excited for the sequel!

My rating:  7 out of 10 (3.5 stars)

~ The Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment