Sunday, March 10, 2013

Book Review: The Goddess Inheritance by Aimee Carter


Goodreads summary:

Love or life.
Henry or their child.
The end of her family or the end of the world.
Kate must choose.


During nine months of captivity, Kate Winters has survived a jealous goddess, a vengeful Titan and a pregnancy she never asked for. Now the Queen of the Gods wants her unborn child, and Kate can't stop her--until Cronus offers a deal.

In exchange for her loyalty and devotion, the King of the Titans will spare humanity and let Kate keep her child. Yet even if Kate agrees, he'll destroy Henry, her mother and the rest of the council. And if she refuses, Cronus will tear the world apart until every last god and mortal is dead.

With the fate of everyone she loves resting on her shoulders, Kate must do the impossible: find a way to defeat the most powerful being in existence, even if it costs her everything.

Even if it costs her eternity.


My review:

This is a satisfying end to the Goddess Test series, but I have to admit it wasn't my favorite out of the series.  I think the first book is the best, and the second went downhill.  However, the third-ish book in this series, The Goddess Legacy, is definitely my favorite.  I enjoyed it most because it's a collection of novellas, so we get to read about many of the other gods and goddesses, and I didn't have to suffer through Kate.

I think that's what kept me from completely loving this series.  I simply can't stand Kate.  She's not terribly whiny or selfish like some heroines I've read about, but she's definitely annoying to me.  She's just way too naive at times.  It makes her come across as a little girl who has no idea what she's doing.

I do like most of the other characters, though.  Especially the gods.  Greek mythology is one of my absolute favorite things to read about, and the gods in this book are just so fascinating!  (But I'm still not totally crazy over Henry.  He seems a little too wimpy to be Hades at times!)  I also like the addition of Kate's baby.  He was so cute and, even though I didn't like Kate much, I thought the way she loved and took care of her child was so sweet.

The Goddess Inheritance definitely starts off with a bang.  The first 50-ish pages or so have lots of action and plot developments, and it was a great opening to the book.  But after the opening, there's not a whole lot of major action until, of course, the end.  Some parts of the storyline were a little slow or took too long to happen, but I did like the action scenes quite a bit.

Lastly, I just wanted to mention the writing.  I'm not sure why, but I don't particularly care for the writing style.  Sometimes, it was hard to keep my focus on the page and what was happening.  This doesn't usually happen to me, and I can't pinpoint exactly what it was about it that I didn't like.

Although I've criticized this book a bit, I did enjoy it overall.  It's a good, solid ending to the series and I enjoyed the mythology twists in it.  I'm looking forward to reading what Aimee Carter writes next.

My rating:  7 out of 10 (3.5 stars)

~ The Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment