Saturday, March 1, 2014

My Top 5 Books of February 2014

I didn't get too as many books as I'd hoped to in February, partly because it's such a short month, and partly because of my continuing obsession with Supernatural. :) Luckily, I had lots of really good 4- and 5-star reads!  Here's what I read last month:

- Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott
- Minders by Michele Jaffe
- Evertrue by Brodi Ashton
- Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend by Katie Finn
- White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout
- The Twisted Tragedy of Miss Natalie Stewart by Leanna Renee Heiber
- Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
- Be With Me by J. Lynn
- Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi
- Love After Theft by Aprilynne Pike
- Emerald Green by Kerstin Gier
- Descendant by Lesley Livingston
- The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Claire Legrand
- Split Second by Kasie West
- Hover by Melissa West
- Vortex by S. J. Kincaid

My top five books:

1. Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi.  Warning: this book will give you a lot of feels.  It will make you laugh and squeal and cry and hold your breath in awe.  I cannot express how much I loved this final book in the Shatter Me trilogy, and how thrilled I am that Mafi ended it in a way that was unexpected, yet made me so ridiculously happy.  It's hard to say much without spoilers, but I loved it.  And Warner?  Gah, he's as swoony as ever.  If you haven't read this yet, what are you waiting for?!

2. White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout.  It was tough for me to choose between this one and JLA's Be With Me, but I think White Hot Kiss wins.  It's perfect for fans of the TV show Supernatural.  Not only is there a fantastic main character and adorable romance, but the world-building was impressive and the plot is full of tension and action.  Not to mention there's a mindblowing twist at the end.  Armentrout has done it again, and I can't wait for the next book.

3. Split Second by Kasie West.  I love Kasie West's books, period.  She is the master of sass and sarcasm.  In this sequel, she manages to flawlessly combine two points of view and two separate romances in a way that'll never leave you bored.  Split Second definitely doesn't suffer from Second Book Syndrome.  I loved the new characters, and the plot is perfectly paced, filled with a mix of cutesy romantic moments and pulse-pounding action and twists.

4. Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins.  I've been meaning to read this book for so long, so I finally caved and checked it out from my library.  This is a rare book that actually lives up to the hype.  Similar to Kasie West, Rachel Hawkins has many funny and sarcastic moments in Hex Hall.  I enjoyed the main character Sophie's narration; she's hilariously awkward and I found myself easily relating to her.  There were some good twists in this book, too.  It's just an all-around fun paranormal read.  I can't wait to start the sequel.

5. Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend by Katie Finn.  This book doesn't come out for a couple more months (I got an e-arc from Netgalley), but if you enjoy contemporary books, you're going want to buy a copy of this the day it comes out!  I zipped through it in a day while I was at a family event - and I was so engrossed in the story that I was never distracted by the chatter around me.  This is a funny, heartwarming contemporary that will keep you guessing.

Honorable mentions to Fire & Flood and Vortex!

What have you read lately that you loved?

~ Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment