Tuesday, October 1, 2013

My Top 5 Books of September 2013

Wow, how has September already gone by?  I can't believe it's October!  Well, here's my monthly round-up, with a list of all the books I read in September and then a list of my top five favorites:

- A Darkness Strange and Lovely by Susan Dennard
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Deception by C. J. Redwine
- Perfect Scoundrels by Ally Carter
- Gorgeous by Paul Rudnick
- Blood Promise by Richelle Mead
- The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen
- The Trouble With Flirting by Claire LaZebnik
- The Distance Between Us by Kasie West
- Rouge by Leigh T. Moore
- Death and the Girl Next Door by Darynda Jones
- Touch by Jus Accardo
- The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler
- A Spark Unseen by Sharon Cameron
- Starstruck by Rachel Shukert
- You Look Different in Real Life by Jennifer Castle
- The Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa
- Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead
- Invisibility by Andrea Cremer and David Levithan
- Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis

My top five favorites:

1. Deception by C. J. Redwine.  This sequel totally blew me away with its twisty plot and complex characters.  It was so action-packed and impossible to put down.  And I love the inventive fantasy/dystopian elements in this book.  Oh, and you'll be an emotional wreck after all the character deaths and cliffhanger ending.

2. The Distance Between Us by Kasie West.  This is one of my favorite contemporaries ever; I love the adorable romance and hilarious main character.  There was so much sarcasm and snark in this book, and it was awesome.  I laughed out loud multiple times.  If you're looking for a read full of sass and heart, this is it.

3. Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis.  I thought I was over the dystopian/post-apocalyptic genre, but this book proved me wrong.  I read it in a single day and couldn't get over how thought-provoking and scary it was.  The main character is tough and smart, which I loved.  Oh, and this is another author who's not afraid to kill off characters.  *sob*

4. The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler.  I've loved Ockler's previous books, so it was no surprise that I fell in love with this one.  The romance is so bittersweet and realistic, and I was swept away by the unique cast of characters.  There's many funny moments, and yet surprising depth.  This is a contemporary story to savor.

5. The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen.  Another contemporary!  I've had lots of luck with them this month, apparently.  I can't believe it's taken me so long to read Dessen's work, but I'm so glad I started!  This one might be my favorite of hers yet.  I can't express how much I loved the characters and wonderful storyline.  Dessen is definitely among my favorite authors of all time.

Honorable mentions go to The Great Gatsby and The Iron Traitor!

What were some of your favorite reads this past month?

~ Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment