Saturday, April 6, 2013

Book Review: 17 & Gone by Nova Ren Suma


Goodreads summary:

Seventeen-year-old Lauren is having visions of girls who have gone missing. And all these girls have just one thing in common—they are 17 and gone without a trace. As Lauren struggles to shake these waking nightmares, impossible questions demand urgent answers: Why are the girls speaking to Lauren? How can she help them? And… is she next? As Lauren searches for clues, everything begins to unravel, and when a brush with death lands her in the hospital, a shocking truth emerges, changing everything.

With complexity and richness, Nova Ren Suma serves up a beautiful, visual, fresh interpretation of what it means to be lost.


My review:

I adored 17 & Gone.  Nova Ren Suma truly has a talent for writing, and this book is no exception.  With a dreamlike atmosphere, haunting writing, and unforgettable characters, 17 & Gone will, without a doubt, draw you in.

I love Nova Ren Suma's writing.  There's just something about it.  The prose is gorgeous and lovely.  And the setting is so well-done - there's a sense of creepiness as we constantly wonder what has happened to all these girls who disappeared, and why Lauren has these visions.

Also, it's clear that the author has done her research.  It's quite heartbreaking to read about how many girls go missing and realize how often it happens in real life, and I loved Lauren and the way she tries to help the girls in this story.  Lauren is definitely a heroine who's easy to root for.

The plot was amazing.  It's not action-packed, but it's very character-driven, which I loved.  And it's still full of suspense.  The whole time I was reading this, I was dying to find out the answers for all the questions I had!  Add an unreliable narrator to the mix, and the story was perfect.  I was hooked from the first page to the very last.

17 & Gone is a powerful, thrilling story that you don't want to miss.  I can't wait to read more of Nova Ren Suma's future work!

My rating:  8 out of 10 (4 stars)

~ The Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment