Wednesday, July 2, 2014

My Top 5 Books of June 2014

Now that school is officially over, I have SO much more time to read! :) I'm so excited about the books I read this past month; I enjoyed most of them!  As for this month, I will be gone for a week of camp, but I'm still hoping to read a lot of books anyway.

Books I read in June:
- Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy
- Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay
- The Stepsister's Tale by Tracy Barrett
- Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige
- The Lucky Ones by Anna Godbersen
- Biggest Flirts by Jennifer Echols
- How to Meet Boys by Catherine Clark
- Towering by Alex Flinn
- Only Everything by Kieran Scott
- City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
- Cold Fury by T. M. Goeglein
- Just Like the Movies by Kelly Fiore
- The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes
- The Secrets of Lily Graves by Sarah Strohmeyer
- Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen
- My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent
- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
- The Obvious Game by Rita Arens
- Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood
- To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

My top five favorites:

1. City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare.  Clare continually blows me away with her books.  Something I love about her books is that they're not the type that you rush through in a day; they're written with such care and detail that you can't help savoring every word.  I'll admit this book had a couple flaws, but I don't even care because I was so invested in the characters and their stories.  And kudos to Clare for introducing a totally new character (Emma) in the very last book of the series and making her so well-developed!  I can't wait for Emma's series now.

2. To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han.  I was surprised by how much I loved this book.  I certainly didn't have high expectations.  I've read Han's other books and liked them well enough, but I did not expect to love this book as much as I did.  It was about romance and family and growing up and was basically just perfection.  I could relate to the main character so much that there were moments when I had to stop and reread lines or paragraphs because I was like, this is so me.  Everything about it was amazing, from the subtle romance to the wonderfully real main character to the realistic storyline.  And the ending...gah, I need the sequel now!

3. Biggest Flirts by Jennifer Echols.  Summer simply isn't summer without a Jennifer Echols books.  I devoured Biggest Flirts in just a couple days.  Echols never fails to write a totally irresistible story with hilarious characters and a charmingly real love interest.  The romance was a tad bit insta-lovey, but it just worked so well that I didn't mind at all.  Plus, I'm excited that the next book in the series has the same setting, etc., but with different main characters.  Can't wait for it to come out!

4. The Lucky Ones by Anna Godbersen.  I'm so sad this series is over now!  I love Godbersen's books.  No one can write YA historical fiction like her.  She includes amazing details without making it seem the slightest bit stuffy or boring.  I was swept away into the story of the three main characters.  And what a great ending...it was sad, nostalgic, but still had a touch of hope.  I really hope Godbersen writes more YA fiction soon!

5. The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes.  This book should come with a warning label: cuteness overload!  I couldn't stop giggling and fangirling while I was reading this.  It's an absolutely adorable contemporary that will make you flail and squeal incoherently.  Also, talk about a perfect romance!  I love books where the main character pretends to be in love with someone else to make a guy jealous...and then she ends up falling for the guy she's pretending to love.  Yeah, it's predictable, but it's just so fun, and Stokes totally makes it work.  I think I liked this even better than the series she's written under her other penname, Fiona Paul.  So addicting!

What good books have you read lately?

~ Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment