Monday, January 6, 2014

2013 End of Year Survey

Here's my 2013 End of Year Survey.  This survey was created by Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner.  This is my second time doing it! :)

1. Best book you read in 2013?  (You can break it down by genre)

My absolute favorite was Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare.  But I had many other favorites, so I'm breaking it down by genre too.

Fantasy: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas, The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson, Deception by C. J. Redwine
Sci-fi: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner, The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey, Scarlet by Marissa Meyer, Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Contemporary: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins, The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider, Just One Day by Gayle Forman
Dystopian: Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano, Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
Historical: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Paranormal: The Diviners by Libba Bray, Pivot Point by Kasie West

2. Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love more but didn't?

Splintered by A. G. Howard.  This was on my TBR list for over a year before I actually read it, and I thought for sure I would love it, but it wasn't as good as I'd hoped.  I did enjoy it (I gave it 3.5 stars) but definitely not as much as I'd thought I would.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?

Pawn by Aimee Carter.  I liked Carter's Goddess Test series, but they weren't favorites, so I wasn't expecting much of Pawn.  But I was so impressed with the solid storytelling and writing.  It was a pleasant surprise!

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people the most in 2013?

Probably Let the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger.  I convinced my best friend to read it and she absolutely loved it!

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

Ohh...I can't pick just one!  I'll go with two.  The Curse Workers series by Holly Black and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series by Maggie Stiefvater.  I loved both series so much!

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2013?

Sarah Dessen, Richelle Mead, Victoria Scott, and Rainbow Rowell.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or a new genre for you?

Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy books.  Usually I hate books about vampires, but I actually enjoyed the Vampire Academy books a lot.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

The 5th Wave, All Our Yesterdays, Deception, Crown of Midnight.  I think I was biting my nails for all of those...

9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to reread in 2014?

I will probably be rereading Pivot Point, Unravel Me, and Perfect Ruin before their sequels come out!

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?





















11. Most memorable character in 2013?

Hmm.  Probably Celaena (Crown of Midnight) or Caymen (The Distance Between Us).  I love how tough and strong Celaena is, and Caymen is full of sarcasm and dry wit that had me cracking up.

12. Most beautifully written book in 2013?

Perfect Ruin wins without question.  But I also loved the writing in Unravel Me and The Beginning of Everything.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?

Clockwork Princess.  It will challenge your views on love and friendship.  Heartbreaking, yet so thought-provoking.

14. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?

Anna and the French Kiss and The Book Thief!  And now they're both favorites! :)

15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2013?

I'll do my best to limit this to just a few, lol:

"I am haunted by humans." - The Book Thief.

"Life is a book and there are a thousand pages I have not yet read." - Clockwork Princess.

"The madness of youth made me unafraid." - Perfect Ruin.

16. Shortest and longest book you read in 2013?

Shortest - Charm and Strange (216 pages).  Longest - The Sweet Far Thing (819 pages).

17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it?

Chapter 62 of Unravel Me.  Ahh, the feels.  Also, the endings of Clockwork Princess and Allegiant.

18. Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2013?

Tarver and Lilac (These Broken Stars) and Celaena and Chaol (Crown of Midnight).  I ship them sooo hard, you guys.

19. Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you've read previously?

Sever, Deception, Crown of Midnight, Crash Into You.

20. Best book you read in 2013 that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else?

None in particular that I can think of, but I suppose The Book Thief.  Everyone was gushing about it and the general hype with the movie coming out pushed me to read it, and I LOVED it.

21. Genre you read the most from in 2013?

Fantasy/paranormal, with dystopian as a close second.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

Tarver from These Broken Stars, Etienne St. Clair from Anna and the French Kiss, and Adrian Ivashkov from Bloodlines. *sighs*

23. Best 2013 debut you read?

Not a Drop to Drink, Let the Sky Fall, Pivot Point.

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

The Diviners!  The atmosphere and historical details were so in-depth and rich.

25. Book that was the most fun to read in 2013?

Stir Me Up and Smart Girls Get What They Want were such fun contemporaries!

26. Book that made you cry in 2013?

I sobbed through the epilogue of Clockwork Princess.  Also, The Beginning of Everything and The Book Thief brought some tears.

27. Book you read in 2013 that you think got overlooked this year or when it came out?

All Our Yesterdays was a really fantastic time travel book and I definitely think it deserves more hype.

Looking ahead...

1. One book you didn't get to in 2013 but will be your number one priority in 2014?

Probably Sarah Dessen?  I started her books last year and I still have several I haven't read yet, so I need to finish them soon!

2. Book you are most anticipating in 2014 (non-debut)?

Ignite Me and Split Second.  I CAN'T WAIT.

3. 2014 debut you are most anticipating?

Camelot Burning.  Awesome premise.  Can't wait!

4. Series ending you are most anticipating in 2014?

Shatter Me.  Gah.  I need to know how that series ends.  Also the Everneath series, Dante Walker series, The Selection series, Defiance series, The Grisha series, Mortal Instruments, Lux series.  Whew, that's a lot.

5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging in 2014?

I'd like to not stress so much about blogging frequently.  I'm busier with school this year, so it means I'm only posting 2 or 3 times a week now, and I need to just accept that that's all I have time for.  And of course, my reading challenge - 225 books. :)

If you did an End of Year survey, please comment with a link.  I would love to stop by and read it!

~ Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment