Sunday, September 1, 2013

My Top 5 Books of August 2013

Here's my round-up of the books I read last month, then a short list of my favorites!

- Soulless by Gail Carriger
- Posion by Bridget Zinn
- The Rules by Stacey Kade
- Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
- Where She Went by Gayle Forman
- Falling in Love With English Boys by Melissa Jensen
- Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
- Conjured by Sarah Beth Durst
- The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
- The Innocents by Lili Peloquin
- Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway
- Frostbite by Richelle Mead
- Enshadowed by Kelly Creagh
- Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo
- Sweet Legacy by Tera Lynn Childs
- This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith
- These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
- Shadowlands by Kate Brian
- Gravity by Melissa West
- Belle Epoque by Elizabeth Ross
- Insignia by S. J. Kincaid
- Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
- In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters
- Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout

It's a miracle I managed to read so many books with school starting up.  Let's just hope it stays that way!  Here's my favorites of the month:

1. These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner.  Utterly brilliant.  This is going on my all-time favorites list.  I read the e-arc, but I am so buying a hardcover copy when it comes out in December.  Simply fantastic writing, a brilliantly plotted storyline, and a wonderful relationship between the two main characters.  I can't recommend this one enough.

2. Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout.  JLA still remains one of my favorite YA authors of all time.  This fourth installment in the Lux series does not disappoint.  There are so many shocking revelations and twists.  I stayed up late to finish it, and it was SO worth it.

3. Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo.  This is what I call fantasy. I am blown away by this creative world that the author has invented.  So magical and fascinating.  I'm in love with this series.  And of course I must mention Sturmhond, who is, I daresay, the new Finnick Odair.  Very swoon-worthy. :)

4. Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead.  I'm not a vampire fan - like, at all - so I'm still a little surprised that I'm addicted to this series.  And while I really liked the first two books, I just loved this one.  The plot is fast-paced, the characters are amazing, and...gah.  I so was not prepared for that emotional ending.

5. Insignia by S. J. Kincaid.  I was also surprised by how much I enjoyed Insignia.  It's a little on the long side, and it's sci-fi, which sometimes makes books seem confusing and slow-paced.  But I couldn't stop reading this, and I laughed out loud so many times.  You know a book is good when you can't stop highlighting quotes on your Kindle.  A must-read for sure!

I had a hard time picking favorites, so *very* honorable mentions go to Just Listen, Belle Epoque, and In the Shadow of Blackbirds! ;)

What were some of your favorite reads from last month?  I'd love some book recommendations!

P.S. My review of Origin will be up tomorrow!  Keep an eye out for it. :)

~ Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment