Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Book Review: Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway


Goodreads summary:

Jodi Marshall isn’t sure how she went from normal teenager to walking disaster. One minute she’s in her junior year of high school, spending time with her amazing boyfriend and her best friend. The next she’s being stalked by some guy no one seems to know.

After the stranger, Alex, reveals himself, Jodi learns he’s not a normal teenager and neither is she. With a kiss that kills and a touch that brings the dead back to life, Jodi discovers she’s part of a branch of necromancers born under the 13th sign of the zodiac, Ophiuchus. A branch of necromancers that are descendents of Medusa. A branch of necromancers with poisoned blood writhing in their veins.

Jodi’s deadly to the living and even more deadly to the deceased. She has to leave her old, normal life behind before she hurts the people she loves. As if that isn’t difficult enough, Jodi discovers she’s the chosen one who has to save the rest of her kind from perishing at the hands of Hades. If she can’t figure out how to control her power, history will repeat itself, and her race will become extinct.


My review:

Oh, I wanted to love this one.  Greek mythology - and about Medusa, no less!  It's rare to find books based on her, so I was so thrilled at the summary.  And sadly, the book just wasn't as great as I'd hoped it would be.

It's not really cringe-worthy, it's just nothing great.  I probably could've given it 3 stars if I wasn't so disappointed with the blah-worthy romance and naïve main character.  There are too many little predictable clichés, and overall it turned out to be another rather bland YA book.

I do like that we actually get some backstory on the whole "descendents of Medusa" thing.  It was nice to get some explanations about the plot. And the story's very fast-paced and flows along well.  Other than that, there wasn't much I particularly liked.

Like many others, what annoyed me most was the love interest.  He starts out as a stalker.  I kid you not.  What is it with so many YA books thinking that it's romantic to be stalked?  Stalking is NOT in any way, shape, or form, romantic.



Of course, the love interest Alex has a good explanation for his stalking, but it's still just weird that Jodi would even consider falling in love with him.  Speaking of Jodi... *facepalm* There were so many times that she didn't understand the obvious.  Like, why did it take her so long to realize that every time she bled, a person/animal died?  Is it real that hard to put two and two together?



Besides the fact that I wanted to throttle Jodi for her obliviousness in the first half, and then shake her for falling in love with a freaky stalker, the story is okay.  It really does improve in the second half, once you get past all that weird stuff.  But then in the second half, a cliché mean girl showed up, and there was a "surprise twist" when Jodi is betrayed, which really wasn't all that surprising to me.

I wouldn't recommend this book.  I am glad I gave it a try, because at least it's short and fast-paced and the mythology held my attention.  But I'm probably not interested in reading the sequel.

My rating:  2 out of 5 stars

~ Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment